Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Electrical Irony

The doorbell rang, accompanied by (not followed, accompanied) knocking on the door. So I got up, shuffled my injured way downstairs. Of course, it was a sales guy. He was wearing a TXU (the electric company) cap and shirt. He had the clipboard and the hungry look. He seemed surprised that I did not immediately open the storm door as well, resigned himself to talking to me through it. He asked me if I am me (last I checked), then told me that "our records indicate that you used to be a TXU customer, but no longer are. We want you back. I can save you a bundle. What are you paying for a Kwh now?"
"I’m not really sure, I think something like $$$."
He looked at me like I just said I can run around the planet in 8 seconds. "Are you SURE? Can you get a recent bill?" Like I need to prove it, for some reason.
"No, I am not entirely sure, my wife handles that."
"Well, is she home? Can I talk to her?"
"No. She won’t be home for an hour or so."
"OK, then can I come back then?"
"Sure."
A little over a half-hour later, my wife arrived home from work, and I asked her how much we are paying for electricity. She said she wasn’t entirely positive, but off the top of her head, she thought like $$$.
"Oh," I said. "Then the TXU guy isn’t gonna be real happy."
I told her about the sales guy coming by, and she shrugged it off. Unlike me, she does not have an insane need to jack with sales people.
The hour came and went with no returning TXU guy, so I figured he either got busy and forgot or never intended to come back anyway. After about 2 hours, there came, again, that annoying double announcement that someone was at the door. Sure enough, it was him.
"Sorry, guy," I said, opening the door. "You can’t help me."
He gave me a puzzled look. "What do you mean?"
"Look, one of the reasons we switched is that, when we got married, I had TXU, my wife had "a competitor". When we moved into this house, TXU wanted to charge like 75 bucks to transfer service, "a competitor" did it for free." Once again, he looks at me as if I just claimed to be able to hurdle Jupiter.
"TXU does not charge to transfer service." I suppose, at this point, he was calling me a liar, but I let it slide.
"Well," I tell him, "earlier, when I told you that I thought I was paying $$$ cents, you looked at me like you thought I was crazy…" He cut into my spiel here, I assume thinking that him having looked at me like I was crazy was why I wasn’t going to allow him to "save me a bundle".
"It’s just that, companies don’t go that low. No one does."
I knew he wasn’t going to be able to save me anything.
"I don’t know why you say that. I am paying $$$ with "a competitor"." Now his eyes boggle.
"How is that possible? I have "a competitor", and I am paying…" I cut him off mid claim.
"Wait. You are wearing a TXU uniform, trying to get me to come back to TXU, and then you tell me you use "a competitor" yourself? How am I going to let a guy who doesn’t even use his own company sell me on it?"
You couldn’t write a commercial that good. I think I will stick with "a competitor".

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I love competition...I also like messing with sales people. I keep a stopwatch by the phone just so I can see how long I can keep a telemarketer on the phone, messing with his prewritten script, and seeing how long it takes him to get pissed off and hang up on me.

    ReplyDelete