Friday, December 17, 2010

Zadroga Bill Congratulatory Letter to my Senator

Dear Senator Cornyn,
I understand that you voted with all other Republican Senators to keep the Zadroga 9-11 First Responders Health Care Bill from coming to the floor of the Senate for an up or down vote. Congratulations on allowing tax cuts for the wealthy to come before the health care of the true heroes who, without thinking of themselves, sprang into action on that most horrible of days.

But at least all of you Republicans stuck with your convictions, showing the rest of us where you truly stand with respect to those selfless men and women. The wealthy of this country can rest easy knowing that you and people like you are there for them, to ensure that they get those tax cut extensions, no matter who has to suffer for it.

I understand that you and your comrades are also unwilling to work the week between Christmas and New Years to try to work some things in. Senator, everyone I know (who has a job) will be working that week. Most of the people I know will make something like 1/7th your salary. I, and I am sure a lot of other people, would like to know just why it is that you and your associates believe that you are so much better than us, your employers, that you cannot work those days.

I also would like to know why it is that you and your associates, allegedly our employees, make so much more than the rest of us? You all seem to believe that the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour is enough for us common schmoes to get by on, so what is the reasoning behind you guys taking so much more than that. I do understand that you guys have to maintain a residence in your home states and in Washington. So I would be willing to allow $14.50, and we can pay for your coach class airfare to and from out of the general fund. I think, however, that we are going to have to install a time clock, as from my understanding you guys don’t work full weeks even when there is no major religious holy day to conjure as a reason.

Again, congratulations on shafting the true heroes of this nation while at the same time extending tax cuts to your true constituency, the 2% of the population who make over $250k a year.

Merry Christmas to you as well. I hope yours is better than those emergency personnel you helped to shaft.

No comments:

Post a Comment