Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Who am I, anyway?

It seems to me that the GOP has no reason to see the economy recover. If everything stays bad, then come the 2010 mid-term elections, they can say "see? Should have voted for us". If the economy does better, they have nothing.

So, individual Republicans might do what they can to try to make the global economy recover, but as a party, they have zero incentive to try. Just thought I would point out to folks that you might want to keep an eye on your elected officials, especially if they have an (R) attached to their names.

I recently had an exchange with a friend that I thought I would pass along.

I had made some statement that made my friend question me, saying that he thought I was a Democrat.
Well, I do lean to the left some. I am not a Democrat, though.

I believe that if a woman who is not my wife wants an abortion, it’s none of my business. I believe she should make this decision very soon after she discovers that she is pregnant. I do not believe that insurance should pay for it unless the mother's life is in danger.

Same if two guys want to get married. Neither affects me at all.

I think if we were drilling and pumping all the oil under OUR soil, we wouldn’t have to drill in the ocean for years to come. Neither would we have to buy from the Saudis, whom I believe were truly behind 911.

I believe that if you want to take my guns away from me you better bring 19 people, because I have 18 shots and I don’t miss.

I believe that people not having health insurance costs us as a nation far more than giving them insurance would. One out of 38 people who are sick goes to the doctor, because the other 37 cannot afford it unless they are seriously ill. So disease spreads.

I believe that if you give more money (tax cuts) to the rich, they pass it around to other rich people or stash it away in some offshore account. If you give money (tax cuts) to the not-rich, they pass it to the rich people too, but at least the poorer people get to play with it too.

This argument that the rich create jobs with those tax cuts has been proven a lie by 8 straight months of job losses. The argument that they will trickle that wealth down is proven a lie by the fact that most folks who DO still have jobs haven’t seen a pay raise in years.

I believe that kids should be allowed to pray quietly in school if they want, and they should be allowed to have voluntary after school bible classes as well. As long as they are willing to extend that privilege to other religions. I do NOT believe that anyone should be forced to pray in a publicly funded institution, nor do I believe that any religious classes should be funded by taxes. Truly, teaching religion is the church's responsibility, not the public school systems'.

I believe that if the most expensive car in a church parking lot belongs to the preacher, that isn’t a church, it’s a cult. Jesus had to borrow a donkey to ride to his death.

I don’t believe that we should stop progress because it is going to adversely affect the psychedelic spotted 3-horned slug. Species have been going extinct for billions of years. If one can’t survive change, oh well.

I believe if someone murders someone else, they need to be put to death. Lethal injection is NOT cruel. As a matter of fact, it is a little too nice for my tastes. I think murderers should be put to death in the same fashion and time frame as their victim. With, if possible, just as much terror.

I think illegal still means criminal. The argument that we allowed illegal immigrants in here for so long we now have to accommodate them is rubbish. If I forget to leave my door locked when I leave for work, and I come home to find someone on my couch, watching my TV, drinking my beer, cleaning out my medicine cabinet and eating my food, I am not going to ask him politely to leave. Neither am I going to figure that, since he managed to get in and was there all day, now I have to support him and his family. I will shoot him. Done deal.

I generally vote for the candidate who is NOT holding the office already.

So you tell me. Am I a Democrat? Am I a Republican?

I will tell you this; in 94 I voted straight republican ticket on the congressional elections, largely because of their promises made in the contract with America. Which they failed to implement.
I voted for bill Clinton twice, because I knew he was lying when he said he didn’t inhale. And because I understood why he lied when asked if he had relations with Monica. Come on, if you are sleeping around on your wife, and someone asks you in front of her, they are almost 100 percent guaranteed to get a lie. I would have lied, you would have lied, and Newt Gingrich would have lied.
Also, that seemed kind of like a setup. I mean, why would she have failed to wash that dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment